Sunday, August 19, 2007

A Vignette

We were headed for Cedar Point. I was at the helm of our 18ft outboard, with daughters aboard; Ruthie was with friends on a larger inboard. With little warning, winds struck. Instantly the water turned inky black as ripples destroyed reflection. The ripples became giant waves for which Lake Erie is famous. Further progress was impossible. We turned back east seeking shelter. The trick is to ride the back of the receding wave, constantly adjusting steering and throttle to keep just short of the crest. I looked back - no sky visible - only a wall of water - the front of the following wave. The breakwall protection was distant. A we slowly approached it, I saw it was lined with people. I wondered why. When we finally reached the protection of the breakwall, I could see they were all looking at us. They had been watching to see if we were going to make it to safety.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home