Saturday, August 11, 2007

Will and Ariel Durant

Many years ago, as I read Volume 10 of the Durants "History of Civilization" I was marveling at their prodigious vocabulary and had my dictionary at hand as always. I could follow their thought without precise understanding of some of thier words but I stubbornly refused to let them get by me with words I didn't fully understand - so I looked them up. Unfortunately, my memory is no match for my stubborness - otherwise , I would be able to talk man to man with William F. Buckley on even terms. Just for fun I wrote this using thier words:
"I speak to you from my seraglio - such as it is. My message is esoteric - hopefully erudite. I speak without avarice, hopefully euphoniously, but with rubicund integument should I be perceived as concupiscent as I am in no way profligate."

1 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

Hi Roy,
Have tried to translate the end of your blog... have to admit with the help of the Oxford Dictionary... am I anywhere near the meaning???

I speak to you from my Turkish palace-such as it is. My message is meant for the initiated - hopefully learned. I speak without greed for gain, hopefully with a pleasantness of sound, but with high-coloured skin should I be perceived as sexually desiring as I am in no way lacking in morals."

Hope you are keeping well my friend?

Love Angie
xxx
PS I wrote my blog today for the first time in a month... all in plain English :-)

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home