Wednesday, August 01, 2007

A Vignette

Richard came to service my Heat Pump AC unit yesterday. I don't even know his last name, I was at the computer when he brought in the bill. I said "This is my lifeline to family and friends." He said quietly "I have a webcam and talk to my son in California face to face live over the internet." I looked at him in amazement. This soft-spoken unassuming elderly man is the last person I would have thought had computer savvy. I probed shamelessly. He had been a technician in Silicon Valley during the glory and gorey days at the very start of the computer revolution. His job was to help customers make software work that had been rushed into production too soon. In the process he even had to re-program software on occasion!
Life lesson: Don't trust first impressions. As Mark Twain said "There was never yet an uninteresting life."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home