Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Generalist

When I was young I devoted my time and study to only what interested me. I resented degree requirements in fields of no interest. But with the passing years, I have developed a much different perspective. Specialization in study and research has provided landmark breakthroughs. But I believe it has its downsides too. It seems to me that a system based on learning more and more about less and less should be recognized by educators as a target for "rethink." I suppose a "jack of all trades and master of none" would not appeal to academia but there is one of them who shares my point of view. I quote Professor Thomas C. Emmel of the University of Florida:
"I think the origin of the universe and the origin of life are two of the ultimate we can ask" "To study these two questions, however, one must be a well read "generalist" and that is rare indeed among today's scientists."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home