Saturday, December 01, 2007

Susan Scott Thompson (1946-2007)

She held many degrees from Indiana University;
She was a teacher of English Literature, Poetry, and Composition;
She was a trained professional counselor of the troubled and those with mental problems with a practice of her own at one time;
She was a poet of national recognition. Her poem (below) was recited on PBS-TV, Bill Moyer's program, shortly after the 9-11 disaster.

Waltzing the Spheres

We pulled each other closer in the turn
around a center that we could not see -
This holding on was what I had to learn.

The sun can hold the planets, earth the moon,
but we had to create our gravity
by always pulling closer in the turn.

Each revolution caused my head to whirl
so dizzily I wanted to break free,
but holding on was what I had to learn.

I fixed my eyes on something out there firm,
and then our orbit steadied so that we
could pull each other closer in the turn.

The joy that circles with us round the curve
is joy that passes surely as a peace,
and holding on is what we have to learn.

And if our feet should briefly leave the earth,
no matter, earth was made for us to leave,
and arms for pulling closer in the turn -
This holding on is what we have to learn.

And she was my beautiful daughter - and the mother of Kimberly, my beautiful grand-daughter.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She was my Aunt, I can't believe she's gone. I remember when they read the poem on air, but I didn't remember the poem itself. It's beautiful and so true.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Jane Forni said...

Susan was my friend and co-worker. We talked much about our midwestern upbringing and our families. I felt as though I knew some of them. She was a kind and gentle person who I will miss. Heaven has another angel.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Carol Bucy said...

Susan was my dear friend. I eagerly looked forward to each time we could get together. We could talk for hours about our shared interests. I feel blessed to have known Susan. She was a very classy lady and a caring spirit and will be dearly missed by all who knew and loved her.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie VanderMeer
she was my aunt too

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home