Tuesday, September 04, 2007

"A World Without Time"

I just finished this book by Brandeis University Philosophy Professor Palle Yourgrau. It will take me awhile to unscramble my mind. In the 1940s, logician Kurt Golel and Einstein became close friends. They walked together daily to and from their offices at Princeton University. They discussed ontomology, epistemology, the space-time continuum of Einstein's theory of general relativity. By 1949, Godel had produce a proof that in any universe described by the Theory of Relativity, time cannot exist. Einstein was unable to refute it. I couldn't follow the reasoning of Godel's "proof". Maybe some day I will learn to resist the challenge of trying to understand matter beyond my mental capacity - but your reach is suppoed to exeed your grasp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home